Albert points out that contrary to popular beliefs there are actually hidden advantages to learning piano as an adult.
"Adults have the enormous advantage of a developed capacity for concentration, and it's this that we most need for practicing piano. It's very easy for children to form bad practice habits that they can carry into adulthood, simply because their ability to concentrate was as yet undeveloped."
- Adults learn of their own volition.
- Adults have highly developed logical and critical thinking skills.
- Adults can learn complex concepts much more easily and understand technical explanations.
- Adults have developed attention spans.
- Adults are emotionally developed.
- Adults are able to read fluently.
- Adults are fully grown
Albert says Mastering the piano means constantly refining several essential skills:
- Piano practice
- Ear training
- Reading music
- Piano technique
- Piano theory
I did take some lessons when I was five years old. However, this is encouraging that I didn't have to start at five and my goal may be achievable - even restarting at 41 years old.